Sunday, November 11, 2007

Pumpkin Carving!!!





I forgot that in Europe they don't do Halloween, so I was a little sad when it came around and no one knew what I was talking about when I said "pumpkin carving." However, Kathryn (my beautiful dog walker) and I set out to find pumpkins and teach Susana how to carve her first one. We finally found some and went home to get things set up. Kathryn and I diligently did the first steps to carving and got all the wonderful goop out of the middle and the started drawing. About that time Susana just picked up a knife and started cutting without drawing anything first. We started laughing and explaining that it was better to draw and shape it first, but she just looked at us like we were crazy and continued on. Turns out, her pumpkin looked way better than both of ours. I hate art teachers =)

It was an entertaining night, and one that I never had the pleasure to experience when I lived in France. So I may not have had any trick or treaters and pumpkins lining the streets of Portland, but I had three pumpkins in my living room, glowing with the same intensity as those of years past.

No comments: