Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Fire!!!


Today I took the day off because apparently we get a contractual day for moving. I have a friend who is loaning me their car to pack everything into and just drive to the new apartment (the guy is letting me leave all my stuff there until I can move in on Friday), so I was just packing away when I heard a loud explosion. I looked out my window and there were huge flames shooting out of two windows a couple of floors above me. Within seconds, I heard screaming and there was pounding on the door with people making everyone leave the building. I grabbed my passport and my bank information and Zoe, and was out the door in about ten seconds.


The fire department contained the fire, so it didn't get into our apartment, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that if I hadn't been home, no one would have answered the door, and if Zoe had been here, then she could have died in the fire. It was a scary incident, and it made me quite thankful for the things that I do have. I feel very sorry for the people who live there, although I don't know them and can't get into their building to offer them anything. I'm posting a picture of the post-fire, although I wish I would have gotten one while it was happening. I didn't think quite fast enough!

1 comment:

Molly said...

I used your recent life--two robberies, losing your dog, house fire, crazy roommate, passport picture with black eyes, etc.--as an example of HOW NOT TO WRITE a short story in my creative writing class last night! Too much drama for one short story. =)