Saturday, October 6, 2007

The Supreme Speed of Spain

What an alliteration! The speed gods were taking a siesta the night I decided to get my abono transportes. I figured it would take a good twenty minutes or so, especially since I had to go take photos on my way to the tobacco shop where you get them (that's also where you get stamps--don't ask me why!) So, I stopped, took my four pictures, and was off to the shop to get my monthly pass for the train, metro, and bus. The first shop explained (I think) that they were out of them and told me where to go. I had no clue what the woman had said to me, so I just smiled and took off in the direction she pointed, hoping to find a shop. As luck turned out, there was one right around the corner. I thought my night was made! And then I entered, and about five minutes after I had begun filling my information out I realized I needed my passport number, which of course I didn't have. So I had to leave, go home, and get my passport. This was another fifteen minutes. Then I go back, restart my information sheet, and finally get to the bottom where I realize that I need my zip code of my neighborhood. I of course do not have that either, so I have to leave again, go knock on a neighbor's door, write down the zip code, and then go back to finish my sheet. By this time it's been well over an hour that I've been trying to get this damn pass. And then, as only my luck would have it, the store's electricity goes out and we're locked in the smallest tobacco shop on the planet. It's me, another young woman, and this old cranky shopkeeper who is incredibly pissed that his electricity has gone out and he can't charge us for our abonnos. I thought that was fine until I realized I also couldn't get out the door until he managed to get it turned back on. So he gets on the phone, makes a phone call, and within forty-five minutes the electricity is back up and running, I have my pass (that I paid for), and I'm allowed to leave the cramped store. And my twenty minute errand has now turned into three hours. The pleasures of Spain =)

No comments: