Sunday, December 2, 2007

Ok ok, I'm finally posting!!

I keep getting nasty emails from my friends telling me I'm not blogging enough, so I'm going to make up for it today. So, blog number one is just going to kind of outline what it's been like in the last couple of weeks.

Number one, it's freezing here. I'm cold all of the time, and I'm waiting for mom to come to bring my what might be the ugliest hat on the planet, but one that will surely keep me warm in the mornings when I walk Zoe. My fingers freeze even in gloves, and where I work is in the North of Madrid, so it's even colder on my walk to school. Therefore, I can officially say I'm experiencing Winter in Madrid.

Number two, they've been doing construction on my roof, which begins at about five in the morning (surprising for Spain) and are completely redoing the entire roof of my building. This means that outside my door is a seven story high scaffolding unit. There are five or six workers consistently pounding away, which is quite distracting in the mornings. In addition, they've attached the scaffolding unit to my railing, which means they took down my clothesline. This does not help when you don't own a dryer.

Which brings me to three: clothing. My neighbors have looked at me like I was crazy every time I have complained that I don't have a dryer, since they are extremely rare in Spain. However, they don't have a dog. When I have to wash clothes and then hang them on this little doodad that is six feet long and three feet wide (and 20 euros) and takes up my entire apartment, they don't realize that the hair from Zoe does not come out of my clothing. So I wash, but I'm still stuck with hair all over and an overwhelming gadget that does little to help my clothes dry. And to drag your clothes to a not so common laundromat costs about 15 dollars per load, so that's not really an option. So, as of today, I am the proud owner of a dryer. It doesn't come until tomorrow, and I have no clue where in the hell I'm going to put it, but it is needed. This emergency purchase comes after my second doodad to hang clothes on collapsed last night, sending both Zoe and me into a state of terror as we both thought someone was breaking in. But no, just clothes all over the floor. So tomorrow I get to rewash two loads of wet laundry and actually dry them in an hour rather than two days, which I'm thinking will come in handy. And they deliver. Whew.

Warning to all: Spain doesn't have dryers. Very bad if you have a dog or actually need your clothes dry in less than two days.

No comments: